Cloverland Farm for Sale in The Plains, VA
This Virginia Historic Landmark is rarely available for sale. Cloverland was designed by eminent architect, William Lawrence Bottomley, for Mary & DeLancey Nicoll, Jr. of New York. This beautiful estate has been under the stewardship of only three previous owners. Carefully renovated in 2012 to the home’s period quality and taste. Located in the heart of Orange County Hunt territory, this 150-acre property engages you in magnificent views of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Bull Run Mountain and surrounding historic farms of the Little Run Valley historic district.
Built by master stone mason W.J. Hanback of Warrenton, VA, it was completed in 1936. Cloverland manse has the form of a rural Palladian villa, that evokes the classic English Country House. It has a two-story central block flanked by lower wings and connected by walls and arcades to remote dependencies, the Garden House and the Garage with efficiency apartment over, on opposite sides. This grand country house has classical Greek and Roman architectural elements, particularly seen in the doorways. The Library came from DeLancy Nicoll’s home in New York and the original Adams mantel with intricate ivory inlay was imported from England.
The house is privately sited on a gently turning driveway surrounded by mature trees and plantings by noted landscape architect Meade Palmer. This magnificently preserved country estate has been meticulously renovated (in 2012) and maintained, in perfect harmony with its original architectural integrity by the current owner. This home is rarely available for sale and has had only three previous owners.
Cloverland Farm Facts:
- Built in 1936, Cloverland is a stone English country Georgian manor house designed by preeminent architect, William Lawrence Bottomley of New York City, in 1933 for Mary White & DeLancey Nicoll, Jr. prior to their marriage. It was constructed by expert stone mason, W.J. Hanback, of Warrenton, VA. Bottomley worked during the period 1915-1947. He was a prolific society architect in New York, Virginia hunt country (he designed Half Way House nearby) and in Richmond, VA where he lived in later years. Because the home designs he created were so well executed, most still stand today with little change from the time they were built and remain quite livable to 21st Century standards.
- This is a rare offering. There have been only 3 previous owners of this home.
- 2012 – Extensive & meticulous house renovations of the highest quality materials and finishes, in keeping with the home’s period and quality.
- Renovated gourmet Kitchen with Lacanch 6-burner gas stove, Subzero refrigerator, DoveTail cabinetry with soft-close drawers, stunning granite counters, 2 country sinks with chrome faucets, 1 full size and 2 drawer dishwashers, 19th Century French pharmaceutical cabinet, Canadian hand-hewn beams in vaulted ceiling and entry door jam, slate flooring, Dutch door leads to stone breezeway and the 2-car garage with efficiency apartment over.
- New electrical, heating & cooling systems & well pump
- All new marble baths. Master Bath has radiant heated floors, steam shower, jetted soaking tub, 18th Century French closet doors and 18th Century Italian door.
- Period lighting fixtures installed during the 2012 renovation
- 4 antique mantles, including an 18th Century Adams ivory-inlaid mantle imported from England in the Dining Room.
- The mahogany paneled Library was moved and reassembled by DeLancey & Mary Nicoll, Jr. from their New York home at the time of construction. It has a fireplace, adjustable shelving and a hidden panel.
- Striking native stone and slate checkerboard Foyer flooring grace the central hall.
- Beautiful original walnut staircase & flooring throughout.
- Stunning floor to ceiling windows in the Living Room and formal Dining Room
- Sunroom has Pella doors & transoms and a new standing seam metal roof
- Expansive slate rear Terrace with balustraded concrete and wrought iron railing, and adjoining boxwood gardens
- Heated glass enclosed 60’ x 20’ Lap Pool and beautiful stone Pool House with changing rooms, shower and two slate patios.
- Tennis Court with a special Astroturf surface and lighted gazebo, water fountain that is surrounded by stone walls, mature cedar trees and gorgeous views of the north and east grounds
- 3 Bedroom Tenant House with separate driveway entrance
- Large storage building with heated workshop next to Tenant House
- Stone walls, stunning grounds with amazing views of the Blue Ridge Mountains to the west and Bull Run Mountain to the south. Garden landscaping features include an allee leading from the rear grounds to a large arbor and Williamsburg-style formal garden, the moss meditation garden, Tennis Court and mature apple orchard and blackberry garden.
- Cloverland Farm is a Virginia Historic Landmark (30-862) and is in Open-Space Easement (FAU-VOF-389) with the Virginia Outdoors Foundation
Cloverland has 6 Bedrooms/6.5 Baths, 9,560 sf, Covered heated pool, tennis court, extensive hardscape and gardens, Tenant House, Storage/Workshop Barn, 150 acres in VOF Easement, a Virginia Historic Landmark property. Price: $5,500,000